Monday, April 12, 2010

Getting faster with age (Capitol 10K)

One of the most surprising things to me on this endurance sports journey is that I'm still able to see improvements, even as I get ever closer to that 50 year mark (47 now). I know that I can't win that battle forever, and there will come a point when things will start trending downward; but for now I am very happy to see Personal Records (PR's) continue to fall. My first timed 5K as an adult was in 2002; and I came in over 8 minutes/mile. A year later I did a 10K at a 7:20 pace; and that has come down the last few years to just under 7, then 6:45...  and then this past weekend I managed to get just under 6:30 and achieve a 40 minute 10K! Not sure that I, or my heart, are capable of going any faster, but it sure felt good to reach that milestone :) I also managed to get 6th place in my age group (out of 335), so cracking top 10 in a running event that large was another new experience. A very good day, indeed.

So, next up will be the Memorial-Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas... seriously, it sure was a lot easier to say/type when it was just "Lonestar Half IM"! :) I've been working pretty hard on the computrainer this year to improve on the bike, and the computrainer and training results indicate that I should be at least a little faster this year (potential mechanical difficulties aside). Swim should be about the same, and feeling good about the running; now we just have to see how it all comes together. You just never know what race day is going to bring...

New Garmin 310XT tracking shows delivery for tomorrow, so that will give me something to play with during taper :)

JD



*****************************************
Help the kids!

Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation: to find a cure for childhood cancer for kids like Ishani ... Please help them by donating HERE

Hope For Kidz: program to help educate children in Haiti

*****************************************

1 comment:

  1. You never smile in your pics.

    Getting a new toy is dangerous during taper week, you know you want to play with it.

    ReplyDelete