Tuesday, February 9, 2010

What is with tapers and illness?!?

Seems like I always get little cold/sore throat issues when I'm tapering down for a race. Isn't that backwards? Seems like the reduced volume should give my immune system a boost... Ah well, just a slight cold, I'll be better by Sunday in time for the marathon.

Addendum: I've done some online research, and this is much more common than I realized. No real good explanations that I've seen - one that seems to make some sense is that the immune system has been hyperactive trying to keep up with the strain on the body; and goes into a "relaxed" mode as you taper. Maybe the truth is that you're just more aware and paranoid about being sick because you have an event coming up :)


*****************************************
Help the kids!

Hope For Kidz: program to help educate children in Haiti

Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation: to find a cure for childhood cancer for kids like Ishani ... Donate HERE

*****************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment