A few updates on how things are going, and a quick "10 things" list that I was challenged to do by fellow blogger Big Daddy Diesel (it was harder than I thought it would be, but a fun exercise).
Training-wise, the main event coming up is the Austin Marathon in less than two weeks. I'm currently tapering down, so cutting back a little bit on the running distances. This is my first event as part of Team Lemon, helping to raise awareness for Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation. I'm also hoping to qualify for the Boston Marathon, so my wife and I can go back there in 2011 (well, I guess we could go anyway as just a regular vacation but where's the fun in that?...).
earthquake relief, and that is clearly the correct priority. We'll get back there when the time is right.
I do get to go back to Piedras Negras, Mexico in March, though; so I'm excited about that. I mentioned Piedras Negras and my friend Irma in my introductory blog post. In addition to helping Irma with her Soup Kitchen; there's also an orphanage for the severely handicapped, a small home church, and a baseball field for the kids that we get to work with. It's always an amazing trip.
In other endurance sports news... I'm getting the coaching thing off the ground with a couple of new triathletes. I think I enjoy that more than I do my own training : ) I'm using a new online application called workoutlog.com that I like a lot. Not a tons of bells and whistles, but I'm a KISS type of person - and this does what I need it to do. Most importantly, it keeps all the plans and logs and comments in one place.
Finally, to close - here is my list of 10 Things That Make Me Happy (better late than never).
Ten Things That Make Me Happy
1. Faith in God: Has to start here if I'm going to be honest... Kind of like having the ultimate life-coach to provide direction and guidance.
2. Family and Friends: Aren't I boring and predictable? But seriously, my wife and kids, siblings, parents; and the trusted relationships I have with a few friends - those are really at the core of what makes me happy (well, most of the time....).
3. Checking things off the list: Doesn't matter what the list is, really; but it makes me happy when I get to check something as being done. Kind of OCD about it, guess that's why I'm a Project Manager for a living.
4. Sunshine and warmth: I'm a sun and beach and heat type of person; cold, overcast, windy, rain - all make me miserable. Guess that's why I've lived in FL, CA, and TX.
5. Music: Love listening to it, love playing it (guitar mainly). I like all kinds of music, as long as it comes from the heart. You can tell when somebody writes/performs music that comes from within, vs. following a formula.
6. Fitness: hard to explain to people sometimes, but there is a definite feeling that you have physically and mentally that makes all the training worth it. Fits into my general philosophy that doing things that you may not want to do in the short term ends up paying dividends in the long run.
7. Turtle Pie: If you don't know what it is or have never had it... do yourself a favor and get one/make one TODAY!
8. Gadgets (esp. electronic): I could walk into any kind of electronics store and spend my annual budget before I knew it. Managing to keep it under control, but every time I see an iPhone or fancy HDTV or new TIVO or new GPS watch or... you get the idea : ) Speaking of Tivo... If you've never used a DVR, it will seriously change your life! :) We've had ours for years, and we now consider watching "live" TV a form of torture.
9. The Internet: As I'm typing this, I realize how much I just really love the internet. Besides the obvious things (news, weather, blogs, facebook, shopping), it's truly amazing what you can find. Need a manual for your 8 year old guitar effects pedal - no problem... just google and download! For the youngsters, ask your parents about life before internet...
10. Reality TV: Sad, I know - but I really do enjoy watching shows like Biggest Loser, Amazing Race, etc.
Help the kids!
Hope For Kidz: program to help educate children in Haiti
Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation: to find a cure for childhood cancer for kids like Ishani ... Donate HERE